Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Half full

http://www.freehugscampaign.org/
One morning last week, I can't for the life of me remember if it was a Monday/Wednesday/or a Friday, but it was one of the days I had my philosophy class, and gotten our tests back. I studied forever for that exam and was pretty confident I knew what was up with the Ontological Argument, a priori and a posteriori truths, and of course the conflict of David Humes through Cleanthes, Demea, and Philo :P. Then we actually get our tests back and I failed the utter shit out it. It was just one exam, but I felt like it was foreshadowing to the rest of my college career. So I'm walking out of the building, all sorts of frustrated, and suddenly I run into a guy and a girl with Free Hug tshirts on. I made eye contact with the guy, and he said "Kinda looks like you could use a hug", or someting along those lines, and in spite of my frustrated, bitchy mood, I took it. And actually, it made me feel better. I think it's a great movement. Everyone has bad days and little things can kill your mood, but it's nice to know that there are people out there who reach out and try to brighten some days.

I would write more but honestly it's two o' clock in the morning and I still have loads of work to finish by tomorrow---so I'll have to keep this short. I just thought I would share this little moment with you all, and also prove that I'm still alive, still writing.

Also, you know what feels amazing? Sitting in bed while drinking hot chocolate. I would definitely say that the mug is half full. :)

4 comments:

Natalie said...

Awww, I'm glad that the Free Hugs guys could totally make your day that much better! That's amazing, haha. :) Things sounds really stressful, but that's great that there are still the little things (like hugs and hot chocolate!) here and there making every day just a little bit better. :D

Ali said...

that's awesome Olive. about the guy hugging you, i mean. Free Hug movement FTW! (:

Yeah, hot chocolate while lying in bed sounds really good right now. Especially since its so cold out here in California!

Allison said...

Awwe, Olive, I'm sorry things are so stressful for you! I'm glad that free hugs made things better though - it's funny how something that could be kind of creepy (I mean, hugging strangers), can actually be just what the doctor ordered to cheer you up! :)
Your comments always make me so happy - it's so rare to find someone that actually, really reads what you write, and I always know that you really read my posts! :) You're a sweetheart.
Oh man, the recipe is really easy - you've GOT to try it! I'm glad you don't hate all the pictures - sometimes I'm afraid I overdo it!
I'm currently using the Nikon D60... I should have waited so I could have gotten the D5000 a year later, but I love mine. It's a good DSLR, and a good one to start with because it's super user friendly! I'd definitely recommend Nikon :)
Hope you enjoyed your hot chocolate - I'd kill for some right now, my house is an igloo :)

Helennn Louise said...

Oh well that was wonderful but don't let the exam get you down. It was just one and you'll do brilliantly next time. It was the first one, everyone fails badly the first time.

I hope your mug is always half full, lovely <3